Pages


Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I was on the elevator and...

Because some of my most interesting non-Sebastian events occur on the elevator, I thought perhaps it needed its own space.

I feel silly back-tracking my elevator stories, so everyone will have to miss the time a few months ago I was stuck in an elevator for an hour with an elderly couple, the man of which kept threatening to pee in the zip lock sewing bag belonging to his wife, and the man from Africa who described several ways to cook fish.

Soooo . . . here we go. Today: I was on the elevator and . . . the doors opened on the bottom floor and I was looking straight at a nicely dressed elderly woman who looked a lot like someone's sweet, cookie baking grandma. Now let's not forget I am 7 months (just a few days from being 30 weeks) preggy and my tummy is unmistakably housing a 17 inch long, 3+ pound baby. With that remembered, envision me stepping toward the doors to exit the elevator. While I am doing this, the woman steps onto the elevator trapping us both inside the doorway of the elevator. A dangerous place to be, indeed. Now rather than backing up, the woman says, in her sweet, come-get-the-cookies-they-are-fresh-out-of-the-oven voice, "Excuse me." This is followed by her proceeding to continue through the elevator doors pushing me back into the elevator and smiling at me. Did I miss the elevator memo that says STOP letting the folks ON the elevator off first?

This whole experience was later washed away by a sweet man who offered to follow me to the 5th floor and help me unload 6 boxes from a wheelie cart that I was pushing from the 1st floor because the boxes were "too heavy" for my boss . . . Did I mention that I'm 7 months pregnant? Anyway, I was feeling impish, so I declined his offer and told him that I was going to leave the cart in the office while I left for the day, and my boss would get to unload the boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment